Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Lot More to Say


Eliza's working vocabulary has suddenly tripled in the last week. I don't know what happened!
She has not been very verbal to this point, though her comprehension is very good. She can identify many objects, animals, colors, etc. by pointing to them in books, but she has stubbornly refused to repeat words. When we would try to get her to repeat a word, she'd just give us a big grin. She knows all her farm animal sounds, but those don't really count.
Now, suddenly, she will name things when I point to pictures in books or will repeat words when someone says them. She still doesn't put many words together in phrases, but I'm sure that will come.
Her favorite word is still "done" and it's so cute to hear her use it as both a statement and a question. She loves to point out when someone is done with something, and she's always asking, "Done?" She comes into the kitchen when I'm doing dishes, picks the hand towel off the oven door and asks, "Done?" (She knows that when I'm done, I'll get the towel to dry my hands.) A couple of times, when she's been crying, she's taken the towel and handed it to me with a "Done!"
I guess it often doesn't take a lot of words for someone to get the point.

1 comment:

Kansas Mom said...

I love it when they start to talk! First Daughter will often say something like, "I all done now. Get me ou' o' this chair! That would be nice." All in one breath.

She has a larger vocabulary now at two than First Son did at three.