We also got a catalog yesterday in the mail proclaming "Christmas in July" and the girls loved looking through it. Last night Caitlyn wanted to wear her flannel winter pajamas to bed, and then today when she asked if she could watch her video again, I decided maybe we should just have our own little Christmas in July. I've been having trouble getting into the ocean theme this week anyway.
So we got out the few decorations that were not in the attic, lit the "Christmas Cookie" candle, turned on some Christmas carols, and made some snowmen decorations. The girls have been quite delighted at this new idea of Christmas in the middle of summer. I found an easy cookie cutter cookie recipe that I could halve, and we mixed them up and stuck the rolled dough in the fridge to chill before naptime. Amanda was lamenting that stores probably didn't have any egg nog, though, so I offered to try and make some. I found a recipe that seems easy enough, and I'm going to give it a shot. I'm a sucker for egg nog myself.
Update: The cookies turned out well, the egg nog was so-so. I cooked it a little too long and it turned into custard. It was better after I smoothed out the lumps in the blender though.



Eliza wanted me to take her picture, too.
2 comments:
What fun! We leave the Christmas videos and music (kids' ones anyway) out all year. For about eight months a few years ago, First Son insisted on watching Rudolph nearly every day. (We also have the Box Christmas video.)
Maybe I should send you the candy canes I still have on top of our hutch. They've been "decorating" a glass up there since Thanksgiving or so.
What a fun idea! I love Christmas! Decorating Christmas trees and listening to my Martina McBride Christmas CD. Of course if we did Christmas in July, my kids would have expected presents LOL!
Post a Comment