Saturday, May 2, 2009

Camping at Home


The weather has been beautiful all week, so Chad suggested we camp in the backyard last night.
The girls had lots of fun playing in the tent.



The girls helped Chad build the fire so we could roast marshmallows and make s'mores after dinner.

Caty found an "F" for fire.
And some antlers...







I'm really getting too old to sleep on the ground. We must get some sort of mattress or additional padding for next time. The kids did well, though. Eliza was a little grumpy with the staying up late and getting up with the birds, but she did fine through the night.



I told Chad this morning that I really thought I heard a rooster in the wee hours of morning (along with the train, owl, and many other various birds who wake up with the sun in our neighborhood.) It was very faint and far away, though, and I thought maybe I'd dreamed it. There are a couple of small farms within a mile of our house, but we didn't think any of them had chickens. Then, as I was driving home later today, I heard it again! We had seen a rooster before, walking around this random house about a mile away, but I'd forgotten. (Not sure that's legal inside the city limits, but it's been a few weeks since we'd first seen it. I wonder if their neighbors have complained.)

1 comment:

Kansas Mom said...

Very cool! We don't have a tent yet, but hope to get one so we can camp in our yard in the future.

We also don't have a rooster yet, but are planning on one of those eventually, too. We checked; it's legal. And we plan to share some eggs with our next door neighbor, to soften him up a little.