In May
I truly think it best
to be a robin
lightly dressed
concocting soup
inside my nest.
Mix it once
mix it twice
mix that chicken soup
with rice.
From Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak
We had chicken soup with rice and homemade bread for dinner tonight, to kick off our May. When we read the May selection from the book, we chuckled over how fitting it was...
Chad worked all day today, but the girls and I got up and went yard sale-ing (not a word, I know) this morning. The girls have gotten into yard sales (yay!), but the last few weeks we have not gotten a single thing. I'm pretty particular, and we just haven't come across too many that have what I'm interested in buying.
Well, today, we finally found some good things. At a sale in our neighborhood, they found a frog habitat, which they plan to use mostly for bugs. Then we went to a church sale and found a few other things, including some homemade lemon curd (yum!), which Amanda and I were very excited about. (One of these days, I will try to make my own.)
Later, Amanda and Caitlyn went to the birthday party of one of the girls in their Girl Scout troop. It was a dinosaur party, and it was pretty impressive. They got to dig for fossils and do some other cool things.
They spent the rest of the day outside playing with the neighbors, mostly in our backyard. We have some new Russian neighbors behind us, and the girls have befriended the girls who live there.
At some point this afternoon, though, Amanda and another neighbor girl decided to "rescue" some baby birds (they're really more like teenagers) in a neighbors yard. (Without parental consultation, of course.) When I discovered it, they had already built nests for the birds and dug up about thirty earthworms for the birds to eat. So, we're currently trying to figure out how to care for the birds until they are ready to go on their own (hopefully not much longer.)
We'll see how it goes!
(Sorry there are no pictures, my camera has been AWOL today.)
(Bird Update: After reading some more online, Amanda and I decided to release the fledglings back into the bushes near where the nest was, and I told the girls they could keep an eye on them. We thought that was probably their best chance for survival.)
No comments:
Post a Comment