Friday, May 20, 2011

Strawberries, Eggs and More


I'll apologize in advance for the extra-long post. I've had several potential posts on my mind this week, but my plate is very full right now, so I'm just going to squish them all into one. This month has been incredibly busy. I'll need to remember that for next year, so I don't plan anything extra.

Today, I chaperoned the kindergarten field trip to a farm to pick strawberries. It was a very nice farm, with a petting zoo, planting station (they planted green bean seeds), a tractor/wagon ride, and a great playground, in addition to the actual strawberry picking. It was a beautiful day for it, especially considering it was a cloudy, rainy week with below-average temperatures and temperatures next week are expected to be in the 90s.




We had three children at our lunch table who had trouble eating because of a loose tooth. I suppose that such are trials of kindergarten. The girl on the right in the picture above actually lost her tooth in my van on the way back to school. And then, of course, she promptly dropped it. Luckily, we found it quickly once we were back at school.

Amanda has been making her own scrambled eggs for a few months now, and this week she finally assumed the last step in the process. She can now do everything on her own, beginning with getting out the ingredients, to putting the cooked eggs on her plate. (Well, I will say that she's not tall enough to get down the plate or bowl from the cabinet, if there are no clean dishes in the dishwasher.) The last step for her was actually spraying the pan with cooking spray. I've always done that for her, and it wasn't until this week that I realized she had NEVER sprayed an aerosol can before. As a general rule, I don't buy anything in an aerosol can, with the exception of cooking spray. I don't use cooking spray that often, but there are just a few things that I keep it around for, with scrambled eggs being one of them. It had never occurred to me that Amanda had never sprayed anything, until she asked earlier this week to spray a muffin tin for me. I also didn't realize that it's actually something you need to practice.
So, Amanda now makes her own scrambled eggs for breakfast. It's quite handy, since she usually prefers eggs for breakfast, whereas her sisters definitely do not.

Eliza totally surprised me this week while we were at the park with some friends. The park has a set of those hanging rings that the kids can cross, similar to monkey bars. Eliza hopped right up on them and went all the way across, without even checking to see if I was nearby. I couldn't believe it. She needed me at the end, since the drop was still at least a couple of feet to the ground, but she did great! She then did it two more times without any help from me until the end. I don't even remember her seriously trying this before, but she just jumped out there confidently this time. I wish I'd gotten a picture!

Recently, Eliza has been in the habit of saying, "I love you more than..." and we play that little back and forth game of who loves the other more. I'm not sure how it started, but it's cute to see what she comes up with. It made me think of a book we've had on our shelf for ages, but that I rarely read. Honestly, I've never been that crazy about the book. I think I read it to the older two a few times when they were younger, but I'm not sure Eliza had ever even heard it.


I felt it was time to bring it out though, and it is currently one of her favorite books. We did get out our entire set of Little House on the Prairie picture books to read again tonight, though. I've been reading the first of the Little House chapter books, but like her sisters, Eliza definitely prefers the pictures.

No comments: