Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Books and Music

Lessons with Caitlyn have been pretty relaxed over the past couple weeks, but I'm hoping to get back on the ball soon. I had planned well through the letter G, but then we didn't do as much for H and I. Last week we read some books about islands and inventions. I had trouble coming up with a coherent theme for J this week that I could pair with some good books, but I finally settled on books related to Journeys, with several other J words thrown in (Jewels, Jungles, Jam.)
The letter K looks like it might be a bit of a struggle, too, but then I have tons of plans for letters L through P, which will take us through Christmas.
We have been faithful in learning a new nursery rhyme every week. Both Eliza and Caitlyn love to recite what they've learned. I've also been impressed with how much of the Catechism Eliza has picked up - we're on question 10 and she knows almost all the answers.
We're spending lots of time outside this week, as the weather is supposed to be beautiful every afternoon. Amanda is out of school again on Friday, so I'm working on planning some sort of journey of our own.

On another note, we've added in some music time to our days. Our church is doing something different this year on Sunday evenings for the children, and both Caitlyn and Amanda go to choir during the sermon portion of the service. (They are in different groups.) I'm very impressed with what they've put together - one benefit of going to a large church with a pastor dedicated to Worship and Fine Arts. They are actually teaching the children music and how to sing, along with scripture memory and catechism. The girls will be performing next month and again before Christmas. Each of them got sent home with a CD with all their music and pages with all the words to be reviewed/learned at home. Caitlyn's CD even had a little tutorial for parents on how to teach children to sing well. (Much appreciated by me, since I DON'T sing well.)

No comments: