Amanda's class went on a field trip Wednesday to see "A Christmas Carol" at the Children's Theater. She really liked it and said it wasn't too scary. I'm reading the book right now, though, and I think the real thing might still be a little too much for the girls.
The kindergartens had a pajama day on Thursday. Here is Caitlyn all ready for school -
She looked forward to it all week! And it was made better by the fact that she got to wear her fur-lined boots, too. (They aren't dress code, but they were allowed for pajama day.) The classes spent the afternoon watching "The Polar Express" while eating popcorn and drinking hot chocolate.
Both girls spent the bulk of the day Thursday and Friday doing crafts, reading Christmas books, eating, etc. I stopped by Friday afternoon for their official parties, so here are a few pictures...
Amanda's party finished a little early, so she came with me down the hall to Caty's class for a little bit. And Friday was a Jeans Day, so for a donation they could wear jeans and a holiday shirt.
4 comments:
I'm reading A Christmas Carol, too, and think it's either too ponderous or too scary for my kids (or both) just yet. I did get a storytelling CD of it, though, adapted for kids. We're going to listen to it on our way to my parent's house so I'll have to let you know what I think for next year.
Yes, ponderous is also a good word. I would prefer to read the original, unabridged version to them, but the language, though wonderful, is a bit lofty for young children. I feel like I'd need to stop and define or explain at every other sentence. They might not be too scared, but probably because they wouldn't understand the words. So we'll just wait two or three years before trying it, I think.
I got the edition illustrated by P.J. Lynch, though, and I do like it a lot.
This is the CD I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-Other-Favorites-Spindlers/dp/188251341X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292951679&sr=8-1
We've enjoyed a few others by Jim Weiss. My goal is to give them a "scaffolding" for the story, kind of like reading something like Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children. They'll know what's happening without understanding all the words.
I haven't listened to it yet, though, and probably won't before we all hear it together in the van.
Thanks. Let me know what you think. I checked our library, but they didn't really have any good audio options.
Post a Comment