Thursday, June 10, 2010

End and Beginning

We have officially started our summer! Today was Amanda's last day of First Grade (it was a half-day of school.)
The school had an art show a couple of weeks ago. We went, but I didn't bring the camera. Here is a short video of Amanda with her "funky bird" sculpture. (In the video, when she says it's her first clay animal, she means with clay that hardens. She sculpts with the non-hardening kind all the time.)


She also had her Father's Day picnic last week and a Beach Blast on Tuesday. And now she's a rising Second Grader!

Caitlyn has her first official Kindergarten activity tomorrow morning (an assessment to determine teacher assignments), and she's very excited!

We seem to have more plans this summer than last, with at least three trips, three camps, and a week of Vacation Bible School, so I've decided to take a different approach than last summer.


(Eliza at the splash park we went to yesterday with friends.)

My aunt asked, so here's my plan:

- I have a goal of reading one chapter book a week to the girls (10 total), mainly during afternoon quiet/reading time, when it's too darn hot to be outside anyway. We're finishing up The Wizard of Oz right now. I have a big list of potential books to choose from, but the girls specifically asked for the "real" Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, and The Secret Garden, as well as the two Pooh books, which we've read before, but it's been 2-3 years. I'd like to alternate between more fantasy-type stories and books with a strong science/nature theme.

- We'll be reviewing the Bible passages the girls have been learning at church - Psalm 23 for Caitlyn and Psalm 91 for Amanda, and the girls want to have frequent singing/review of the songs they learned in choir. Luckily, they both have practice cd's from choir we can use. During Sunday School this summer (starting in July), all the children will be learning the 10 Commandments, so we'll work on memorizing those the latter part of the summer.

- We're going to work on developing some more daily habits and routines. (Me too!) For the girls, it means adding some daily responsibilities for their own dishes and laundry, as well as making sure books and toys are put away BEFORE bedtime. I won't share my list, but it's quite a bit longer. =)

- I also expect that we'll do quite a bit of letterboxing this summer, some hiking, biking and camping, and various art activities. I've been stocking up on art supplies and special activities, good for travel or hot afternoons.

No comments: