Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bird Wrap-up

To wrap-up our "B" week, we took the girls to the Raptor Center this morning to check out some more birds.


First, we checked out another nature preserve and went letterboxing along one of the trails, though. We'll go back soon, because we realized later that we missed a special trail they have for fairy houses.


We were in time to catch one of the special presentations at the Raptor Center, which was very interesting. Eliza was excited that the barred owl they were showing happened to be named Lulu, the same as her special stuffed pig. I didn't get to see all of it though, because Eliza only lasted about ten minutes before she was really ready to go home, so I had to take her into the building to wander around the gift shop instead.

We'll be reading about clouds for "C" next week, and we'll probably throw in some cats for good measure. One of our books for the week, Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco, also has a very interesting chocolate cake recipe in it that we'll have to try.

4 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

I've always wanted to try that recipe. Please let us know how it turns out! Also, you might want to check out The Storm Book by Charlotte Zolotow. (I think that's the name...)

Will you read The Cloud Book by Tomie dePaola? (Did you recommend that to us?) We've particularly enjoyed The Quicksand Book and The Popcorn Book. (Not that they'll fit with Clouds.)

Tiffany said...

I'll let you know how the recipe turns out!
I'll have to check out The Storm Book - I don't have that one on my list.
Yes, we own The Cloud Book, so we'll be using it this week. We also have The Popcorn Book, which I think we'll be pulling out sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I just checked The Quicksand Book out of the library (after seeing it on your sidebar!) and added it to my list for "Q" later on!

Tiffany said...

Oh - we're also going to read dePaola's The Kids Cat Book next week, too. I had not heard of it before but just found it while searching at the library.
We read Michael Bird-Boy this past week, also by dePaola. I had never heard of it before, but we got a copy of it from my aunt over the summer (along with a number of his other books that she had collected over the years). It was very well suited for expanding into various lessons.

Kansas Mom said...

I just requested the cat book as well, while checking to see if he had any others along the lines of The Popcorn Book. My kids loved The Quicksand Book. First Son read it aloud a number of times and laughed and laughed. We're going to try to make our own quicksand (following the "recipe" at the end) sometime when Kansas Dad is home and we have a bucket to spare. I'll have to check out the other book you suggested, too.